It’s almost New Year’s eve, and that means party time! We love a good theme for a party – and these vegetarian enchiladas would work perfectly for a fiesta! Serve them up with margaritas, guacamole and nachos. Yumm!
4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for baking dishes (2 for sautéing kale)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cups of vegetable broth
½ cup of water
3 cups grated NK Mexican blend cheese
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 .5 cups of sauté kale
1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
6 spring onion, thinly sliced
16 small corn or flour tortillas
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 2 TBS of oil over medium –high heat in a large skillet. Add kale and sauté for 5-7 minutes
2. Make sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add 1 teaspoon cumin, flour, and tomato paste; cook, whisking, 1 minute. Whisk in broth and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
3. Make filling: In a large bowl, combine 2 cups cheese, beans, kale, bell pepper, spring onion, and remaining 1 teaspoon cumin; season with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil two 8-inch square baking dishes; set aside. Stack tortillas, and wrap in damp paper towels; microwave on high for 1 minute. Or stack and wrap in aluminum foil, and heat in oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Top each tortilla with a heaping 1/3 cup of filling; roll up tightly and arrange, seam side down, in prepared baking dishes.
5. Dividing evenly, sprinkle enchiladas with remaining 1 cup cheese, and top with sauce. Bake, uncovered, until hot and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.
Miri Oren, resident chef for the Natural and Kosher kitchen, brings you this delicious and easy to make recipe!
Share this to your timeline to save it and refer back to it!
Puff Pastry Twists
Puff pastry dough thawed (about 1 pound or 17 oz)
1 Ttbsp water
All purpose flour
About 1/2 cup Natural & Kosher grated parmesan cheese
Assorted spices like paprika, garlic, basil,oregano.( about 1 teaspoon) . You can use sesame seeds or nigella seeds as well.
1. Heat the oven to 400 degree F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl.
2. Place the thawed, but still cold, pastry on well-floured work surface. Roll the pastry into a 14*10 inch
3. Brush the dough with the egg mixture, you won’t use all of it. Save the remainder to use again later.
4. Sprinkle half the dough with the Natural & Kosher grated parmesan cheese and assorted spices you like.
5. Fold the bare half of the dough over the half containing cheese and spices. Roll gently with a rolling pin to press them together.
6. Cut the pastry crosswise into about 1/2-inch strips for thin strips or 3/4-1 inch for wider strips.
7. Pick up a dough strip and twist each end in opposite direction until the dough is a spiraled cylinder.
place them 2 inch apart on baking sheet. Pressing down the ends. Brush the pastries with the remainder of the egg mixture and
you can sprinkle more spices or sesame seeds on top.
8. Bake for 10-15 min. or until golden-brown
This delicious Calzone makes a great lunch or dinner – it’s especially easy with store bought dough. You can also use your favorite pizza dough recipe. Bring on the comfort food!
1 pound store-bought pizza dough, thawed if frozen
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup N&K shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 pound asparagus (ends discarded)
1 (15-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of Marinara sauce (one for filling, one for dipping)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a baking pan, combine peppers & asparagus
Drizzle with oil; toss gently to coat. Roast on the center oven rack, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Cool slightly.
Seeded and cut the peppers into 1-inch pieces, cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces
For filling, in a large bowl combine roasted vegetables, quartered artichoke hearts salt and pepper, garlic, 1 cup of marinara sauce Add cheese; toss gently to combine.
Divide dough evenly into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece of dough into a 1/8-inch-thick circle, about 12 inches in diameter.
Divide filling mixture evenly between rolled out pieces of dough. Fold dough in half over filling and crimp as desired to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet to transfer to oven. Cook until dough is puffed up and golden and filling is hot, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately.